Search This Blog

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Grady goes to the Bridge.

I'm not going to go into a long description or discussion of Grady's Chronic Renal Failure (CRF). If you've never heard of CRF, it's a common problem for particularly older kitties. Their kidneys just kind of start to wear out. The only thing you can do for a kitty with CRF is try to slow the progression of the disease itself by using a low protein, low phosphorus prescirption diet, careful attention to hydration with sub-cutaneous fluids administered to keep a kitty properly hydrated, and a careful attention to bloodwork and a willingness to treat any issues that bloodwork and behavior might reveal.

There is no cure.

I was helped greatly by a Yahoo! group for Feline CRF, and I owe them a debt of eternal thanks and gratitude for helping me help Grady have a happy life filled with love and hugs and kisses and pets. I kept Grady's quality-of-life as my absolute baseline requirement for any and all things and I'm happy to say that, with the exception of a few bad days, he lived to be just over 19 years old.

Grady pretty much let us know it was time. He was weak, and we had found out a few weeks earlier that he had a fatal complication - a tumor in his kidney. I was absolutely assured that he wasn't in pain and to take him home and enjoy the time I had left with him. I was also told that the time would be weeks and not months.

On Monday, March 23, 2009 at 2:23pm EST, our kind and caring mobile vet came to our home and helped Grady pass. He was on my lap the whole time, and I told him that it was ok for him to go, that he'd been the best friend I'd ever had and that I knew he was ready and I would see him again.

I'll never really get over losing Grady. I could write a whole blog about how he was with me my entire adult life and all the things that made my relationship with him exceptional. Suffice it to say that he's a special boy and is dearly missed.

Grady was survived by Rufus, Feats & Meatball.

I have told a little of Grady's story at his Rainbow Bridge Residency site.

No comments:

Post a Comment